For some of us it’s not unusual to feel discomfort from stomach bloating and formation of intestinal gas after having a meal. Most of the time the bloating goes away after a few hours and may reoccur after the next meal.
If the bloating does not go away and persists for days you may want to visit your doctor. In this article we are going to deal only with short-term stomach bloating, which related directly to intake of foods.
Reasons for Stomach Bloating:
- Dairy products can increase gas formation. Traditional Chinese Medicine explains this as a weakness of a spleen which is the case with most adults. The modern medicine explains it as decrease in presence of enzymes necessary for processing lactose (dairy sugar) contained in dairy products.
- Badly digested food can promote increased formation of gas as well. Good examples of such foods are cabbage, beans, yeast, nuts, potatoes, sunflower seeds, fruit, sweets, soda water and certainly any fatty products.
- Eating too fast causes ingestion of air that also contributes to stomach bloating
In this article I’m going to teach you how you can help yourself reduce stomach bloating and eliminate intestinal gas, using techniques from Su Jok.
As usual with Su Jok, the first thing you are going to do is to identify areas on your hand that correspond to stomach, duodenum and gall bladder. See figure 1 for details:
Once you found the areas you need to stimulate those areas. You can use a little stick with a not too sharp edge (e.g., a toothpick with a broken sharp edge, ball pen without ink, etc.)
Now find most painful point on these areas. Press these points with moderate effort and begin a slow rotation of the stick in two directions.
Carry out this massage for several minutes (figure 2).
If you didn’t find painful points simply massage whole areas. You can also use your fingers to do the massage.
Massage these areas with constant moderate effort while slightly rotating a finger, without moving it. While the picture shows only one finger, you should repeat the same massage on all fingers but your thumb.
Next apply fennel seeds to the area corresponding to stomach. Replace these seeds every 10-12 hours. See also the technique explained in “How To Get Rid Of Neck Pain“.
If the discomfort persists you are next going to massage two very important points. Here is how to find those points:
Look at figures 3 and 4. Put your hand according to figure 3. The middle finger will specify to you the location of the first point. It is at the distance of one finger width from the anterior crest of the tibia.
Now look at figures 5 and 6. Put four fingers according to figure 5 and you will find the place of the second point.
It is on the medial part of the tibia.
Massage these points on both legs.
These points should not be stimulated if you are pregnant.
After that heat up these points using Moxa.
To conclude, here is some advice to avoid having stomach bloating in first place.
- Walk after meals
- Do not hurry to eat your meals; instead carefully chew your food.
- Limit the use of milk. Drink lactose-free milk and yogurts instead.
- Avoid the use of excessively hot or cold food.
- Reduce consumption of stimulating substances. Coffee, tea and chocolate can lead to stomach bloating.
If you liked this self-healing technique, Self Healing Series has more self-empowering materials.